Makes 6 pieces
Ingredients9 lb (18 cups) granulated sugar 1 1/2 quarts water 6 bamboo skewers 1 egg white, lightly beaten 2 tbsp coarse sugar Food coloring, as needed (optional)
Combine the sugar and water in a large clean pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and continue…
Makes 6 pieces
- 9 lb (18 cups) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar
- Food coloring, as needed (optional)
- Combine the sugar and water in a large clean pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and brush any sugar crystals off the sides of the pan using a damp pastry brush. Remove from the heat, cover the sugar syrup, and allow it to cool undisturbed for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the lower two thirds of each skewer with the egg white and roll in the coarse sugar. Place the coated skewers on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 30 minutes to adhere the sugar to the skewers.
- Drill or poke holes that will accommodate the bamboo skewers in the lid of a very clean 1-gallon jar. Pour the cooled syrup into the jar. Place the skewers through the holes in the lid so that the coated portion will protrude into the syrup. Place the lid onto the jar with the skewers immersed in the syrup.
- Place the jar in a location where it will not be moved or shaken and let it sit for 10 days to 2 weeks. Remove the skewers of rock candy from the syrup and allow to dry overnight on a screen or on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America