Makes 4 servings
These bowls are endlessly customizable for a quick and filling weeknight dinner. Add thinly sliced raw chicken breast to the veggie mixture before cooking or top the bowls with leftover chili or pulled pork. Drizzle with pico de gallo, sour cream, or a sprinkle of shredded cheese for your dairy fix. If you like things spicy, a few dashes of hot sauce would be the perfect addition!
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (from 2 cups dry)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, defrosted if frozen
- 1 avocado, diced
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- 4 lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the bell pepper, onion, and sweet potato on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and black pepper. Toss to coat. Roast until the veggies are browned and the potatoes are cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the lime juice, honey, and cilantro. Add the black beans and toss to coat. Season with salt and set aside.
- To assemble, place 1 cup of rice in the bottom of each bowl. Top with a quarter of the roasted vegetable mixture, a quarter of the black beans (and any accumulated dressing), 2 tablespoons of corn, a quarter of the avocado, and tortilla chips, if using. Serve with a lime wedge.