Makes 6 to 8 servings
This recipe skips the boiling step and goes straight to the oven, no need to peel! Work quickly with your potatoes, since the skin won’t separate from the flesh if the potatoes are cool. If you prefer, you can use milk, cream, or half and half in place of the buttermilk.
- 2 1/2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until a knife inserted into the center meets no resistance, about 45 minutes.
- Set a wire rack over a large mixing bowl. While still hot, carefully cut each potato in half. Use a towel to place each half cut-side down on the rack and press through the rack into the bowl, releasing the flesh from the skin. Discard the skin.
- Add the butter and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. Alternately, you can use a ricer or food mill.
- Add the buttermilk and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.