Makes 4 servings
Smoky Carrot Purée
Smoky Carrot Purée
- For the Smoky Carrot Purée: Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Add the ginger, shallot, and garlic, and sauté until aromatic and translucent. Add the carrots and thyme, and stir to combine. Add the water, adding more if needed to cover the vegetables. Add the liquid smoke and salt, and bring to a boil. Cook until the carrots are completely soft. Blend to a smooth purée and adjust seasoning; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large shallow dish, combine the balsamic, oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Add the carrots, parsnips, onion, and garlic. Toss gently to coat.
- Transfer the vegetables and marinade to the baking sheet and roast until tender and rich golden brown, about 20 minutes. You may need to remove the garlic cloves after about 12 minutes if they are browning more quickly.
- To serve, smear the reserved carrot purée on a large platter. Toss the arugula with balsamic, olive oil, and sea salt, and place on top of the purée, leaving some of the purée visible.
- Add the roasted vegetables and sprinkle with the seeds and Jack cheese. Serve hot or at room temperature.
*The Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) is the name of an area, a specific place, or, in exceptional cases, the name of a country, used as a description of an agricultural product, which comes from such an area, place, or country, which has a specific quality, goodwill, or other characteristic property, attributable to its geographical origin, at least one of the stages of production, processing, or preparation takes place in the area. The European Union (EU) will only give a product PGI status if they decide it has a reputation, characteristics, or qualities that are a result of the area you want to associate with. It is the PGI logo that guarantees the consumer about the authenticity of the product they are buying.