Makes 8 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 24 asparagus spears, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 pounds sea scallops, muscle tabs removed
- Salt, as needed
- Bring broth to boil in medium saucepan; reduce heat and simmer.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, reduce heat, and sauté for 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring to coat, about 2 minutes.
- Add half of simmered chicken broth to rice and cook, stirring constantly, until rice absorbs broth, 6 to 8 minutes. Add remaining broth and simmer, stirring, until broth is absorbed, 6 to 8 minutes. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until risotto is creamy and rice is tender. Add pepper, butter, and Asiago cheese.
- Steam asparagus until tender, about 4 minutes; add to risotto.
- Meanwhile, pat scallops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Sauté scallops in remaining olive oil over very high heat until golden. Serve scallops on top of risotto.