Makes 1 cup
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup canola oil, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Roast the garlic inside its skin: rub the outside of each clove lightly with canola oil and wrap the garlic loosely in aluminum foil. Place the foil package on a baking sheet in the oven and roast until it is very tender and sweet, about 30 minutes. Allow the garlic to cool, then peel and chop it.
- Combine the garlic with the vinegar, canola oil, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled. Taste with a lettuce leaf, and adjust the seasoning as needed.