MAKES ABOUT 10 CUPS
- 2 lb. seasonal vegetables (see suggested options below)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp. finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Garden Gremolata
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the vegetable into 1-inch pieces. In a large baking pan, toss the vegetables, garlic, and shallots with oil to coat. Place in the oven on the middle rack and roast for about 30 minutes, or until golden. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart pot, simmer the broth, wine, reserved roasted vegetable mixture, thyme, and bay leaf for 30 minutes, or until very tender. Discard the bay leaf.
- In a blender, add the reserved soup mixture and purée in batches until smooth (use caution when blending the hot liquids). Return the soup to the pot and heat over medium heat, stirring in the cream and seasoning with the salt, lemon juice, and pepper. Continue stirring until the soup is heated through. Garnish with the gremolata.
Market Basket Options
Vegetables (cooking times will vary and consistency may need to be adjusted): cauliflower, fennel, Romanesco, sweet or regular potatoes, carrots, celery root, squash (winter or summer), mushrooms, cooked legumes, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, asparagus