Makes about 1 cup
- 5 trimmed young carrots (about 1/2-inch thick), thinly sliced into rounds
- 3/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- Place the carrots in a heat-proof container and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and chile flakes and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat and then pour over the reserved carrots.
- When the liquid has cooled, press plastic wrap to the surface to help keep the carrots submerged.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least one day and up to one week.