Makes about 4 dozen, depending on the size of your cookie cutter Dogs are family, too, and this treat is an easy way to show them you care! This dough is very forgiving and can be customized to your furry friends’ favorite flavors. You may need to add or reduce the flour slightly to make a rollable dough.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 7 oz)
- 2 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 pear, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chicken in a small saucepan. Add enough water to cover the chicken by about half. Bring to a simmer and cook, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Alternately, you can bake the chicken in a 350°F oven until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a food processor, and add the flax and pear. Blend to make a nearly smooth paste. Add the flour and pulse until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add water 1 tbsp at a time until it is smooth. If it is too sticky to roll like a dough, add flour 1 tbsp at a time until it comes together.
- On a well-floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4-inch. Use a fork to poke holes all over the dough, poking nearly through to the counter. Use a 1 1/2-inch circle cutter or bone-shaped cookie cutter to cut out treats and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until the treats are golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America