Makes 4 Servings
- 12 ounces fresh or dry pappardelle
- Salt, as needed
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked butter or lima beans
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Ground black pepper, as needed
- 1/2 cup grated ricotta salata cheese
- Cook pappardelle in boiling, salted water until tender (2 to 3 minutes fresh, 7 to 9 minutes dry). Drain; reserve 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons pasta water.
- In food processor or blender, blend 3/4 cup of the tomatoes until smooth; reserve.
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Add 3 tablespoons reserved pasta water, tomato paste, puréed tomatoes, beans, broth, and the fresh herbs. Reduce heat and simmer until thick and chunky, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add remaining tomato halves. Season with salt and pepper. Add pappardelle and toss with remaining pasta water. Serve with grated cheese.