Makes 4 servings
These roll-ups are a variation on an onion tart with blue cheese and walnuts. Red wine is a natural with this hearty appetizer. It was paired with Whitecliff Vineyard’s Merlot at a vegetarian wine tasting event in New York State’s Hudson River Valley. Both the roll-ups and the wine wowed the guests.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Peel and quarter the onions and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices. You should have about 6 cups sliced onions. Keep the slices as uniform as possible so the onions cook evenly.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- When most of the moisture is gone, watch the onions more closely as they start to caramelize and brown. This will happen slowly, so stir the onions as needed so they brown evenly.
- When the onions start to turn golden, stir in the brown sugar, salt, and pepper and cook until a rich golden brown. Splash in the water, broth, or wine to loosen the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove the onions and keep warm.
- Divide the onions among the wraps and top with the blue cheese and walnuts. Place the wraps under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, make the Lemon Vinaigrette: Mix together the lemon juice, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
- Toss the arugula with the vinaigrette (you may not use it all). Sprinkle the scallions over the walnuts and top with the dressed arugula. Fold in the edges of the wraps and roll up like a burrito.