Makes 4 Servings
- 1/2 bottle of red wine, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- 1 lemon, peel removed (without pith) and set aside, and juiced
- 1 small orange or mandarin, peel removed (without pith) and set aside, and juiced
- 2 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 oz brandy
- Sugar or honey, to taste
- Combine wine, brandy, citrus peels, juices, and spices in a small saucepan and heat gently until aromatic and simmering. Do not boil, and be careful to not ignite the alcohol over an open flame.
- Strain through a small mesh strainer into mugs and enjoy. Larger batches can be made using a slow cooker and a tea strainer to hold the spices.