Makes 8 servings
- 2 quarts unfiltered apple or pear cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 or 4 whole cloves
- 3 or 4 allspice berries
- Freshly grated zest of 1 orange
- 8 thin orange slices
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cider, cinnamon stick, cloves, allspice, and zest. Simmer until the flavor of the spices and orange zest are infused into the cider, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the cider and pour into heated mugs.
- Garnish each portion with an orange slice.
Chefs note: You may be able to find pear cider to use instead of the more widely available apple cider. If possible, buy cider that has not been pasteurized for the freshest, fullest apple or pear flavor.