Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 oz pancetta (5 to 6 thin slices), chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup peeled, medium-dice potatoes
- 1 piece Parmesan rind (about 3 inches square)
- 3/4 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped plum tomatoes
- 3/4 cup canned beans such as chickpea or kidney, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup prepared Pesto
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan, as needed
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook until the fat renders and the pancetta begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the broth, potatoes, and cheese rind and bring to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes; do not overcook.
- When the vegetables are tender, add the macaroni, tomatoes, chickpeas, and kidney beans. Cook until heated through.
- Remove and discard the cheese rind, and stir in the pesto, salt, and pepper.
- Serve immediately, topped with grated cheese.