Makes 2 cups
- 2 quarts high-quality heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a heavy bottomed pot over moderate heat, heat the cream to 180°F, stirring often to prevent
- scorching. Remove from the heat. Add the tartaric acid and let the cream coagulate into a curd.
- Line a fine mesh strainer with a large coffee filter or double layer of cheesecloth, and set it over a bowl. Transfer the curd to the strainer and refrigerate for at least 24 hours to drain.
- Refrigerate finished cheese in a tightly sealed container.