Makes 4 to 6 servings This is a great recipe to keep in your back pocket. Serve the roasted mixture over grains, like we did here, or stuffed in a pita, tossed with pasta, or even to top a quick pizza. Omit the sausage, if you like, for a simple side dish.
- 3 heads broccoli
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 cup farro, wheat berries, or other grain, cooked and drained
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Remove the broccoli florets from each head and thinly slice the stalks. Transfer to a large baking or roasting dish.
- In a small food processor, combine the lemon juice, oil, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and garlic flakes. Blend until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons and set aside; pour the remainder over the broccoli and toss to coat.
- Drop tablespoon-sized pieces off sausage over the broccoli, nestling it among the florets. Transfer to the oven and bake, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is cooked through and the broccoli is tender and browned, about 30 minutes.
- Serve the roasted sausage and broccoli over the cooked grains, drizzled with the remaining lemon juice mixture.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America