Makes 6 servings
If you love rice pudding, then wait until you taste this barley version that offers you all of the creaminess that you love with some extra whole grains and a little less of the not-so-good-for-you ingredients. For a more traditional flavor, leave out the ginger and skip the sauce.
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 cup unsweetened almond cashew cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- Pinch of fresh nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
Lemon Ginger Cream
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened almond-cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-inch piece of peeled and sliced ginger root.
- 3/4 cup frozen, unsweetened raspberries
- For the barley pudding: Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the frozen berries. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the lemon ginger cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and remove the ginger slices.
- Using a 1/2 cup scoop, portion the barley pudding into individual ramekins. Top with 1 tablespoon lemon ginger cream per portion and serve.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America