Makes 4 servings
This jewel of a recipe from the CIA’s own Waldy Malouf is slightly sweet, spicy, intensely flavorful sauce that will elevate any already amazing dish to even greater heights. We most look forward to sharing this recipe at our Hyde Park campus’ annual Beefsteak Dinner, a boisterous celebration of food, drink, and friendships made at the table.
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (may substitute with 1 teaspoon salt)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat combine the vinegar, molasses, and anchovy paste and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomato juice, red bell pepper, mustard, and garlic and bring to a boil. Simmer gently over medium-low heat, stirring and scraping the sides of the pot occasionally, until thick and shiny, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Use an immersion blender or a food processor to puree the ketchup and store it in the refrigerator.