Makes 8 Servings
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup sautéed diced onions
- 2 tablespoons basil chiffonade
- Combine the yeast and water in a bowl and stir to dissolve. Let the mixture sit until a thick foam forms.
- Add the flours and the salt to the yeast and stir by hand, or mix on medium speed in an electric mixer using the dough hook attachment, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a second bowl that has been lightly oiled. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let rest at room temperature until nearly doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Gently fold the dough over and allow it to rise for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat a gas grill to high. If you are using a charcoal grill, build a fire and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a moderate coating of white ash. Spread the coals in an even bed. Clean the cooking grate.
- Roll or stretch the dough into a 12-inch round. Lightly dust a 12-inch pizza pan with semolina flour and lay the dough round on top. Brush some of the olive oil over the entire dough round.
- Lift the dough from the pan and place the pizza dough directly on the grill with the oiled side face down. Brush the dough with the remaining olive oil. Grill the pizza until the dough is marked and it puffs up slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the pizza over and spread the sauce evenly over the round, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the outside edges. Evenly sprinkle the cheese over the sauce and top with the onions. Close the lid on the grill.
- Cook the pizza until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is slightly brown and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and sprinkle the basil chiffonade on top. Cut the pizza into 8 slices and serve immediately.