Croque Monsieur (Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich) Makes 8 servings Béchamel Sauce
Ingredients1/4 cup unsalted butter 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 4 cups whole milk
Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour. Cook flour until raw smell is gone, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and…
Croque Monsieur (Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich) Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour.
- Cook flour until raw smell is gone, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and cook, stirring over low heat until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 16 slices rustic white bread
- 8 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 16 slices Gruyère, 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 16 ounces ham, sliced thin
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup grated Gruyère
- Preheat broiler and place a rack at the highest position in the oven.
- Coat one side of each bread slice with mustard and top with cheese slice and one ounce of ham.
- Close sandwiches and butter outsides with softened butter. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until bread is browned on both sides and cheese is melting.
- Spread about 1/2 cup sauce on top of the sandwiches and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place under the broiler until browned on top.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America