Makes 8 servings
- 2 red bell peppers, or 1 cup of prepared roasted peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers, or 1 cup of prepared roasted peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 pounds halibut fillet
- Rub the peppers with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and roast them in a 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the skins start to fall off. Place the peppers in a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap over them. Allow them to steam for 5 minutes.
- Peel the skin off of the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Slice the peppers into thin strips. Alternately, 2 cups of prepared roasted peppers may be substituted.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until lightly caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add the prepared peppers, capers, vinegar, cumin, red pepper flakes, and coriander. Season with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper. Keep warm.
- Cut the halibut into eight 6 ounce portions. Season the halibut with salt and pepper. Grill the halibut over medium-high heat until just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the roasted pepper salad.