Makes one pie, 8 servings
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 1 1/8 cups white rice flour
- 1 1/8 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup plus buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 1/4 tablespoons potato starch
- 4 sticks plus 4 tablespoons (18 ounces) cold unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1/8 cup brown rice flour, for dusting
- 1/8 cup tapioca starch, for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine rice flour, tapioca starch, buckwheat flour, sorghum flour, brown rice flour, and potato starch. Mix thoroughly.
- Remove one half of the flour blend and place it in a separate bowl.
- Using your hands, add unsalted butter to the remaining half of the flour blend. Blend butter into flour until it is fully incorporated.
- Add the reserved half of the flour blend and mix until it is completely blended.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the cold water. Using your hands, mix the ingredients just until smooth.
- Wrap dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine 1/8 cup brown rice and 1/8 cup tapioca starch. Use this mixture for dusting.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and divide into two pieces.
- Roll out on piece of dusted wax paper or dusted clear plastic sheeting.
- Once you have reached the desired size, remove the top piece of paper or sheeting. Grab two corners of the bottom paper or sheeting under the crust and flip the dough over onto the pie plate. Gently press the dough into the plate, trim excess dough, and crimp the edges.
- 2 cups (15 ounces) pumpkin, canned (sweet potatoes may be used instead in equal portions)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) whole milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 each eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Fill pie shell with mixture.
- Place pie on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool on a wire rack.