Makes one 9-inch pie The filling for this pie is reminiscent of a fudgy, dense brownie studded with walnuts and bittersweet chocolate chunks. The crispy chocolate crumb crust is an added bonus in both flavor and texture. If you prefer a moister, denser texture to the filling, bake for 35 minutes instead of the recommended 40 minutes. This pie can only be made better with a scoop of ice cream!
- Cookie Crumb Crust, made with chocolate wafers, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set the rack in the lowest position.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar and whisk together. Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture in two stages, mixing until smooth and well incorporated after each addition.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and whisk together. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until well incorporated. Stir in the chocolate and walnuts.
- Pour the filling into the crumb crust and bake until the center puffs slightly, about 40 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- Serve at room temperature.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America