Makes 8 servings
- 2/3 cup orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cantaloupe, diced
- 2 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 1/4 cups red grapes, seeded
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup mint, chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- To make the syrup, combine the orange-blossom water and the sugar in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar completely dissolves. Set aside until needed.
- Zest the orange using the smallest holes on a grater. Reserve the orange for another use.
- Combine all of the fruits except the kiwi in a large bowl. Serve immediately after garnishing or refrigerate until needed.
- For individual servings, place 1 cup of the fruit salad in a glass or serving dish. Top with 1 tablespoon of the syrup and 3 slices of kiwi. Garnish with the orange zest and mint. Alternately, the fruit salad can be garnished and served in a large bowl.
Chef’s Note: Orange-blossom water, generally available from health food stores and wholesalers, adds a fragrant touch to the delicious syrup. Orange-blossom water is distilled using bitter orange flowers and is commonly used in beverages, confections, and baked goods.