Serves 4 to 6
- 1 lb squid, cleaned, tentacles and bodies separated
- 12 medium shrimp (20/25 count), peeled and deveined
- 1 lb any type of fish, cleaned and skinned
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2 qt olive oil or any frying oil
- 4 lemons, cut into wedges, for garnish
- The squid tubes may be left whole or cut into rings. Leave the shrimp whole. Cut the fish into large pieces and set aside.
- Mix the warm water and salt in a bowl until the salt is dissolved.
- Place the flour in a flour sifter and gradually sift the flour over the salted water while you stir it with a whisk or fork. Keep on stirring, adding the flour until you have a batter that resembles heavy cream. Make sure no lumps are formed; this is why you want to take the time to sift the flour. Based on the quality and brand it might slightly vary, so adjust accordingly.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large deep pot to 370°F. Dip seafood pieces one piece at the time into the batter and drop into the hot oil. Fry only a small amount at a time so that the oil always stays hot, resulting in perfectly done fried food.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a tray covered with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with lemon wedges.