Makes about 1 1/2 lb or 1 quart
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or 1 1/2 teaspoons citric acid
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Heat the milk in a stainless steel or non-reactive pot over medium-low heat just until the milk reaches 182°F (do not let the milk scorch). Add the lemon juice or citric acid, and gently stir.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place over a deep bowl. Gently use a skimmer to lift the ricotta into the sieve and let drain.
- Drain the ricotta for 30 minutes, or until you reach the desired consistency. Unmold and season with salt and store in an airtight container.
- The ricotta will keep refrigerated for four to five days.