Makes six 2-ounce portions
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 11⁄4 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup of the chickpea cooking liquid
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of a half lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place the carrot pieces and half of the olive oil in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss until lightly coated.
- Place on a grill (preferably wood- or charcoal-fueled) and cook until carrots are tender and well-caramelized (slightly charred is good). Cool to room temperature.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and purée the mixture until smooth. Serve with grilled pita bread or raw vegetable crudité.