Handkerchief Pasta with Beans and Seafood
Makes 6 Servings
Fazzoletti Pasta Dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Combine the flour and eggs by hand or using a machine. Knead until all of the ingredients are well combined and the dough is smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or place it in a covered bowl and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Cut off pieces of dough about the size of an egg. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll the dough with a pasta machine or with a rolling pin into sheets about 1/16 inch thick.
- Cut the sheets into 3-inch square pieces with a knife.
Seafood Sauce with Beans and Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, minced or red pepper flakes, as needed
- 6 oz sea scallops, muscle tabs removed
- 6 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 lb littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 9 oz monkfish fillet, cleaned and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup freshly torn basil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup cooked white beans in their cooking liquid
- 1 cup halved or quartered ripe cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and translucent without any browning, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño or red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is aromatic and translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add the scallops, shrimp, mussels, clams, fish, half of the basil, and half of the parsley. Toss to coat evenly with the oil, and then add the wine. When the wine comes to a simmer, add the beans and the tomatoes. Cover the pan and cook until the clams and mussels are completely opened and all the seafood is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Discard any clams and mussels that do not open.
- Transfer the seafood to a heated serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining herbs to the pan juices and season with salt, black pepper, or red pepper flakes, as needed. If necessary, reduce the sauce slightly over medium heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and stir to submerge and separate the pieces. Cook, uncovered, until the pasta is just tender (al dente), 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a colander. Shake well to remove any water clinging to the pasta. Pour the drained pasta into the serving bowl with the seafood. Add the pan juices from the seafood and mix together until the pasta is evenly coated. Drizzle with the remaining oil and serve at once.