Makes 6 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup oil-cured olives
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced, trimmed fennel
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- In a 2-quart pot over medium heat, bring the water and 2 teaspoons of the salt to a boil. Pour in the farro and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the farro and immediately return it to the warm pot. Pan steam it by covering the pot and letting the steam finish cooking the farro, about 10 minutes.
- Mix the cooked farro with the olives, onion, carrot, celery, fennel, cucumber, tomatoes, capers, and garlic. Add the olive oil, vinegar, and herbs. Season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper.