Makes one 9-inch loaf cake
This recipe makes enough batter for one large bundt cake or one 9-inch loaf pan. If your bundt pan or loaf pans are on the smaller side, fill the pan about 2/3 of the way full. You can transfer any remaining batter to another cake pan to bake and freeze for later.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a large bundt pan with baking spray. Tilt the pan so the spray runs into any decorative corners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition and scraping the sides as needed.
- Add the flour in three additions, alternating with the sour cream in two additions, ending with the flour. Mix just until combined. Remove from the mixer and transfer to the prepared baking pan (depending on the size of your bundt pan, you may have some additional batter. Only fill the pan 2/3 of the way full). Smooth the batter and tap the pan gently against a work surface to release any air bubbles.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then gently invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze place the confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl. Add the milk and rum and stir or whisk until combined and smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and let rest for at least hour to allow the glaze to set.