Makes 6 servings Breakfast burritos are a great make-ahead breakfast that can be frozen and reheated whenever you need a quick grab-and-go meal. These are a bit decadent, but you can simplify (and health-ify) with turkey bacon, mashed avocado, black beans, or even just leftover grilled or roasted veggies.
8 oz breakfast sausage,…
Makes 6 servings Breakfast burritos are a great make-ahead breakfast that can be frozen and reheated whenever you need a quick grab-and-go meal. These are a bit decadent, but you can simplify (and health-ify) with turkey bacon, mashed avocado, black beans, or even just leftover grilled or roasted veggies. Note: Breakfast sausage often comes pre-cooked, but we like the fresh version best. If you prefer to use a pre-cooked variety, cut your sausage into bite-sized pieces and brown it in the skillet like in Step 1. It won’t take quite as long.
- 8 oz breakfast sausage, casings removed (see note)
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 large tortillas, warmed
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Buffalo-style hot sauce
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, using the back of a spoon to break the meat up into pieces, until cooked through and browned all over, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium-low heat, add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until small curds begin to form, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking until the eggs are cooked through, but not dry, about 4 minutes more. Transfer the eggs to a plate.
- To assemble the burritos, place a tortilla on a surface. Spread 2 tablespoons of cream cheese down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 1-inch gap on both ends. Top with a portion of the eggs (about 1/6), a portion of sausage, 3 tablespoons Cheddar cheese, and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce.
- Fold one half of the burrito over the filling, using your fingers to compress the fillings within the tortilla. Fold the two sides of the burrito up over the fillings, and holding the sides in place, roll the burrito away from you to fully close the tortilla.
- Serve the burritos right away or wrap tightly in aluminum foil. To reheat, warm the tortillas in a 350°F oven or on the outer rim of a grill.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America