This is the perfect chocolate cake, if we do say so ourselves. Full of rich chocolate flavor with the perfect moist-texture, this cake makes for the ultimate celebration cake when paired with Devil's Fudge Icing or Italian Buttercream.
All-purpose flour, for dusting 2 1/2 cups cake flour 1 3/4 cups sugar 11/2 tsp…
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat two 8-inch cake pans lightly with butter and dust lightly with all-purpose flour.
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. On low speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Add the butter and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the water and blend until a smooth batter forms, another 2 minutes. Add the cocoa powder last, mixing on medium speed until evenly blended, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl as needed while you mix. Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Bake until a skewer inserted near the center of each comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool the layers in the pans for a few minutes before turning out onto wire racks. Cool completely before filling and icing with your favorite chocolate butter cream.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America