Fresh pasta is one of the simplest ways to create a special meal, and it’s even better when everyone lends a hand. This whole wheat pasta is perfect for hand-cut noodles that are tender, but with just the right bite to support hearty sauces, like meat ragouts.
Makes 8 servings
- 3 1/2 cups durum flour
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat durum flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 8 eggs
- To make the pasta, combine the durum flour, whole wheat durum flour, oil, and salt in a food processor. Add the eggs and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. When pressed, the dough should form a cohesive mass. Add water or flour to adjust the consistency as needed.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead until the dough is very firm yet still pliable. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow the dough to rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the pasta dough into sheets 1⁄8 in/3 mm thick. Cut the sheets into linguine or similar long thin strips, and reserve uncovered for at least 15 minutes.
- Generously salt a pot of the boiling water, then add the pasta and cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the pasta, and in a large bowl, toss it with favorite sauce. Serve immediately.