Makes 4 to 6 servings We don't like to dumb food down for kids, but we also know that sometimes kids are picky. So this plant-forward (vegan, in fact!) pasta salad is just a good starting point. The tangy chickpea dressing is creamy like mayo, but packed with protein. Add whatever your kid loves, like hard-boiled eggs, olives, asparagus, baby spinach. There is no limit. To make this again and again, you can also change up the dressing by blending in sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, or even curry paste.
- 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 3 large pepperoncini
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini brine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat rotini pasta, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed or blanched
- 1 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, cashew milk, pepperoncini, brine, and honey. Blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked pasta, broccoli, peas, bell pepper, and carrots. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, as needed. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America