Makes 4 to 6 servings
This salad is simple as summer, with the season’s biggest flavor powerhouse ingredients. Serve it as a side dish or as a main course topped with grilled shrimp or stewed beans. We love it for lunch with a slice of crusty bread to soak up the vinaigrette.
- 3 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 2 loosely packed cups basil leaves, from about 1 oz
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large or 4 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Kernels from 1 ear of corn
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the garlic and a pinch of salt. Crush until a paste forms. Add about half of the basil and crush until smooth. Add the remaining basil and crush until a uniform paste forms.
- Transfer to a bowl with the vinegar and mustard and stir to combine. While whisking, slowly stream in the olive oil. Season with salt, if needed, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, shallot, corn kernels, and a pinch of salt. Add about 2 tablespoons of the dressing and gently toss to coat. Taste and add more dressing or salt, to taste