Makes about 32 macaroons
- 1 cup sugar (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Melted chocolate, as needed for dipping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine 1/3 cup of the sugar with the flour and set aside.
- Combine the remaining 2/3 cup sugar, the coconut, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Heat over simmering water, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and holds together, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Fold in the flour mixture, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart and shaping into neat mounds as needed.
- In batches, bake until the macaroons are a light golden brown on the outside but still soft enough to give slightly when you press them lightly with your fingertip, 20–25 minutes. Transfer the macaroons, still on the parchment paper, to a wire rack to cool completely. When cool, they will lift off easily.
- Dip or drizzle the cooled macaroons in dark chocolate. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets until cooled and set.