Makes 8 servings To make a savory filling for stuffed mushrooms, sausage and ham are added to the chopped stems, along with onions and garlic. The mushrooms are then topped with breadcrumbs or a combination of grated cheese and crumbs. For even cooking, quickly sauté the mushroom caps in olive oil or butter to brown…
Makes 8 servings To make a savory filling for stuffed mushrooms, sausage and ham are added to the chopped stems, along with onions and garlic. The mushrooms are then topped with breadcrumbs or a combination of grated cheese and crumbs. For even cooking, quickly sauté the mushroom caps in olive oil or butter to brown and soften them a bit before stuffing. These can be assembled ahead of time, then baked just before serving.
- 24 large white button or cremini mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp towel or brush
- 6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, plus extra melted butter for basting as needed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup minced Serrano ham
- 1/2 cup dry-cured chopped chorizo sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, thyme, marjoram, or a combination of these
- 1/2 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons grated Manchego or Parmesan (optional)
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Reserve the caps and 1 to 1 1/3 cups of the chopped stems separately.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and brown the mushroom caps, about 8 minutes, turning halfway through. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the mushroom stems and cook until the stems have wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the ham and chorizo and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in the herbs and breadcrumbs. Season to taste with 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Remember that the ham will give off more salt as it heats.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Oil or butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish with about 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Spoon a scant tablespoon of the mixture into each of the mushroom caps. Place in the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown, basting with a little melted butter, if desired. Sprinkle each cap with 1/4 teaspoon of grated cheese, if using. Serve hot or warm.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America