Makes one 9-inch pie
- All-Butter Pie Dough, unbaked, single crust
- 1 medium poblano chile
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 oz chorizo, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and set the rack in the lowest position.
- Roast the chile over the open flame of a gas burner, turning it frequently with tongs until the skin is completely charred and blistered. (You may also roast it under a broiler.) Place it in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the steam to loosen the skin. Using a knife, cut off the top of the chile and slice the chile down the side. Open the chile and spread it flat, skin side up. Remove the outer skin by gently scraping it away with a knife, and then turn the chile over and cut away the inner membrane and seeds. Slice the chile into strips and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Line the chilled crust with lightly oiled or sprayed parchment and fill with weights. Partially blind bake the crust until it is a matte, pale golden color, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the crust to a cooling rack and remove the weights and parchment. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. With a slotted spatula, transfer the sausage mixture to paper towels to drain and cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, heavy cream, and eggs and whisk until thick and smooth.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of the prepared crust and arrange the sausage mixture in an even layer over the cheese. Pour the sour cream mixture over the filling and sprinkle it with the chopped chile and the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the center of the quiche is just set and the edges are golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the quiche from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.