Makes 6 Servings
- 2 heads Bibb or Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper (peeled, seeded, and diced)
- 1/2 cucumber (peeled, seeded, and diced)
- 1/2 tomato (peeled, seeded, and diced)
- 1/2 celery stalk, diced
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- Kernels cut from 1 fresh corn ear, grilled or broiled
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette (directions below)
- 1/3 cup crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- Combine the lettuce, pepper, cucumber, tomato, celery, radishes, corn, and capers in a large bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad ingredients, and toss until the salad is thoroughly coated.
- Arrange on chilled plates and scatter the crumbled blue cheese over the salad. Top with croutons.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Makes 2 cups
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup corn or safflower oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced herbs, optional
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, about 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Gradually whisk in the oils until they are all incorporated and the vinaigrette is smooth and lightly thickened (as the vinaigrette sits, it will start to separate).
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Just before serving, whisk the vinaigrette to recombine the oil and vinegar. Check the seasoning again and add the herbs, if using.