Makes enough for 24 truffles or 2 1/4 cups (or after 4 cups after whipping)
- 10 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 to 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for soft ganache)
- Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- Heat 1 1/4 cups cream for a hard (truffle) ganache or 1 2/3 cups for a soft ganache in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, just to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and add the butter (if making soft ganache).
- Let the mixture rest for 2 to 3 minutes and then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the ganache is very smooth.
- Cool the ganache to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 2 weeks.