Makes 30 Cookies
Dark Chocolate GlazeMakes 10 tablespoons
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dark Chocolate Glaze (recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9x13-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until soft and smooth. Stir together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, and cornstarch.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated and start to form a dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead to smooth the dough, about 5 times.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the prepared pan. Transfer to the pan and press in evenly. Prick the shortbread with the tines of a fork to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake until very lightly browned, 15 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the sugar. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then cut into 30 bars. Cool completely in the pan.
- Drizzle the glaze over the tops.
- 3 ounces dark, bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao)
- 1/4 cup almond-cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- Combine the ingredients in a double boiler and stir until melted and well mixed.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America