Makes 8 servings This recipe uses freshly fried tortillas, but you can substitute store-bought corn tortilla chips. Add shredded cooked chicken, grilled shrimp, or pulled pork, if you like.
- 1 lb white mushrooms, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup prepared tomatillo salsa
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Vegetable oil, as needed, to fry the tortillas
- 8 oz corn tortillas, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup coarsely cut cilantro
- In a very hot skillet, cook the mushrooms in the olive oil until slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook until sligtly softened, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds. Add the salsa and simmer for about 2 minutes more. Adjust the seasoning as needed with salt.
- Heat the oil to 325 degrees F and deep-fry the corn tortilla wedges until crispy and very slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined tray to drain.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, combine the fried tortilla wedges with the mushroom mixture. The tortillas should soften slightly but not become mushy.
- Transfer to a baking dish, the drizzle with sour cream, and sprinkle with the queso fresco. Bake until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America