Makes 8 portions Chicken Skewers
Ingredients8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers 1 lb chicken livers, cut into 3/4-in pieces 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-in pieces 8 green onions, cut into 3/4-in pieces
3/4 cup sake 1 cup mirin 1/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce…
Makes 8 portions
- 8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
- 1 lb chicken livers, cut into 3/4-in pieces
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-in pieces
- 8 green onions, cut into 3/4-in pieces
- 3/4 cup sake
- 1 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce, not low-sodium
- Ground sansho pepper, as needed
- Japanese seven-spice (shichimi togarashi), as needed
- Soak the bamboo skewers for at least 15 minutes.
- Skewer the chicken livers, chicken thighs, and green onions alternately onto the skewers.
- For the sauce, combine the sake, mirin, sugar, soy sauces, sansho, and seven-spice in a pot, and allow it to simmer until it has reduced by a one-quarter, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Prepare a grill for high-heat cooking. Grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until they are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- During the last minute on the grill, brush the yakitori sauce onto the skewers and allow to caramelize slightly.
- Remove from the grill, and sprinkle with sansho pepper and Japanese seven-spice.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America