Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced red or Yukon Gold potato
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken meat
- 1 cup green peas (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Two 9-inch prepared pie crusts or puff pastry sheets
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the butter or oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until pasty and thick, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, whisking well to work out any lumps. Bring to boil and then immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thick, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrot, and celery, and potato, and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken and peas and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.
- Spoon the filling into individual crocks or a baking dish. Cover the filling with pie crust or puff pastry dough, cut to the appropriate shape. Cut vents in the crust and press the edges of the dough onto the baking dish or crocks to seal.
- Bake the pot pie until the pie crust or puff pastry is golden and flaky, about 45 minutes for a large pot pie and 25 minutes for individual crocks. Serve immediately.