- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellows onions, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cups chopped broccoli florets and stems, reserved separately
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots, and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the potato, garlic, and broccoli stems, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are brown around the edges and tender, about 14 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer to a blender and add 4 cups of the vegetable broth, raw cashews, and vinegar, and blend until creamy. Add broccoli florets and pulse until coarsely chopped. Return to the pot and add the remaining vegetable broth. Simmer until the broccoli is soft and the soup is flavorful, about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.