Makes about 8 servings We always think of waffles covered in maple syrup (and maybe whipped cream!), but they are also the perfect vehicle for some of our favorite savory ingredients. This waffle can be served with an egg, like we did here, or a piece of crispy fried chicken! Go for that classic maple syrup for a sweet and savory combination.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 8 fried eggs, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Add the cheese and scallions and stir to coat.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, and butter, and whisk to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined. There may still be small lumps in the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Heat a waffle iron. Ladle waffle batter in the center of the iron and cook according to the manufacturer’s directions. Place the finished waffle on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you prepare the remaining waffles. Transfer to the oven as done.
- Serve the waffles topped with an egg.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America