Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder, optional
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 ears corn, plus corn milk if available, or 2 cups corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons diced red or green pepper, optional
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Vegetable oil for pan frying
- Stir together the flour, sugar, chili powder, if using, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the corn and corn milk, if available, pepper, if using, eggs, water, and the cheese in a bowl. Add to the flour mixture all at once. Stir just until the batter is evenly moistened. Stir in the melted butter.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat over medium heat until it registers 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Using a serving spoon and working in batches to avoid crowding, drop spoonful’s of batter into the hot oil to make 16 fritters in all. Pan fry on the first side until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Turn once and fry until golden brown on the second side, 2 minutes more. Drain the fritters on absorbent towels and season with salt. If needed, you can keep the first batches of fritters warm in an oven at 200°F while you finish frying the rest. Serve at once.