Makes 20 thin bread sheets
- 3/4 cup (4 oz) bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine the flour, water, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix for about 5 minutes to develop the gluten and tighten the dough; the dough should be firm to the touch and smooth. The water needed may vary depending on the flour. Adjust the dough with additional flour or water, as needed, to achieve the desired consistency. The dough should look like a very soft pasta dough but it should not be sticky, and should be firm but soft.
- Form the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rest, about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3-ounce pieces. Flour each piece well and then run it through a pasta machine. Using the tines of a fork, prick the entire surface of the flat bread; this will allow steam to escape.
- Bake the bread on a sheet pan until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- As soon as the bread is removed from the oven, brush it with the olive oil and sprinkle it with the coarse salt. The olive oil can be infused with garlic, rosemary, and thyme or other aromatics, if desired.