Makes 6 servings
Carrot Pasta Dough
- 1/4 lb carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 lb all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 to 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cover the carrots with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the carrots and return them to the saucepan. Cook for 30 seconds over medium heat to dry them. Remove from the heat and purée in a blender or food processor. Sauté the puréed carrots until reduced and dry. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and make a well in the center. Place the eggs, carrot purée, and oil, if using, in the well. Working as rapidly as possible, gradually pull the flour into the liquid ingredients and stir until a loose mass forms. As the dough is mixed, adjust the consistency with more flour or water.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until the texture becomes smooth and elastic. Gather and smooth the kneaded dough into a ball, cover, and let the dough rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- To prepare the filling, combine the cheeses with the parsley, oregano, bread crumbs, egg yolks, salt, and pepper; mix well to blend.
- Roll the pasta dough into thin sheets using a pasta machine. Lightly flour a clean dry work surface and lay down a pasta sheet. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out as many rounds as possible, or a sharp knife to cut squares. Using a teaspoon or piping bag, place or pipe a small amount of filling in the center of each circle or square. Lightly moisten the edges of the pasta with a pastry brush, fold in half to make a half-moon or triangle, and press firmly to seal with your fingertips.
- Cook the tortellini in salted, boiling water until tender. Drain and toss the tortellini and roasted carrots in the pesto and garnish with the pickled carrots.