Makes 12 apples
- 12 apples
- 12 sticks
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- Red coloring, as needed
- Cinnamon extract, as needed
- Clean and dry the apples. Insert a stick into the stem end of each apple. Lightly oil a sheet pan, or line it with parchment paper, to hold the dipped apples.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir while bringing to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan and boil for 4 minutes. Remove the cover, insert a thermometer, and cook without stirring until the temperature reaches 310°F.
- Remove from the heat and shock the bottom of the saucepan in ice water for 20 seconds to prevent carryover cooking.
- Gently stir the color and flavor into the hot sugar.
- Allow the cooked sugar to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes to cool and for bubbles to subside.
- Dip the apples one at a time in the hot sugar to coat the outside of the fruit with candy.
- Allow the excess candy to drip off the apple, and put on the prepared pan with the stick facing up to cool and harden.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America